| Saturday, April 26, 2008
| And we're back...
|After a brief, ok not-so brief, hiatus Uptown Cook is back!
Ok... let's re-cap what I've learned during the break:
- I've learned to not make broad, sweeping, and completely unfounded claims of superiority.
- I've learned to not despise over-hyped, mass-produced, corporate kitchens/fat factories.
- I've learned that The United States of America is "not in a recession" but it may be the next time you ask.
- I've learned that some people really will cook you soup when you're sick if ask on a page that you think no one reads, even if you don't know them.
- I've learned that finding "Kitchen Work" in a city with 3 culinary schools isn't as easy as you'd think.
- I've learned that sometimes your family isn't "just what you need".
- I've learned that sometimes you really can't go home again.
- I've learned that sometimes you really NEED to go home again.
- I've learned that when life gives you lemons sometimes you need to make something other than lemonade. Something with capers sounds good... Check back tomorrow to see what I come up with.
- I've learned that love is awesome but being IN LOVE is awesomer!
- I've learned to ALWAYS make clean cuts when cutting dough for biscuits.
- I've learned that seasoning a wok on the 5th floor of a mid-rise isn't the best idea but sometimes necessary.
- I've learned that so long as you aren't allergic to an ingredient, someone can make you like it by preparing it well.
- I've learned that canned veg can't compare to freshly prepared veg.
- I've learned that I can and will curry anything. Curried spaghetti and meatballs anyone?
- I've learned that not having to shave is both a blessing and a curse. "No, I have not been shipwrecked on a deserted island or living in a cave." Mom would argue with that fact.
- I've learned that you can identify the folks that you love, by the number of times you've wanted to choke the crap out of them and didn't.
- I've learned that you can identify the folks that love you, by the number of times that they should've choked the crap out of you and didn't.
- I've learned that money can't buy happiness... but it sure does make it A LOT more comfortable while you try and hunt it down.
- I've learned that sometimes life just sucks but you've still only got 2 options: Live it or end it. Living it seems like it would be the most fun, though.
- Finally, the greatest lesson I've learned is that sometimes life gets in the way of living. When that happens, we have to slow down and take a moment to appreciate the good, simple things that life has provided us. Good food, good friends, and good times. Cook a meal, crack some wine or a few beers, and invite some loved ones. Happiness is sure to follow. Until the hangover hits... but then you get to come here for a Monday Morning pick-me up.
See you tomorrow folks...
|posted by Allen @ 12:19 PM