Saturday, April 26, 2008
And we're back...
After a brief, ok not-so brief, hiatus Uptown Cook is back!

Ok... let's re-cap what I've learned during the break:

  1. I've learned to not make broad, sweeping, and completely unfounded claims of superiority.
  2. I've learned to not despise over-hyped, mass-produced, corporate kitchens/fat factories.
  3. I've learned that The United States of America is "not in a recession" but it may be the next time you ask.
  4. I've learned that some people really will cook you soup when you're sick if ask on a page that you think no one reads, even if you don't know them.
  5. I've learned that finding "Kitchen Work" in a city with 3 culinary schools isn't as easy as you'd think.
  6. I've learned that sometimes your family isn't "just what you need".
  7. I've learned that sometimes you really can't go home again.
  8. I've learned that sometimes you really NEED to go home again.
  9. I've learned that when life gives you lemons sometimes you need to make something other than lemonade. Something with capers sounds good... Check back tomorrow to see what I come up with.
  10. I've learned that love is awesome but being IN LOVE is awesomer!
  11. I've learned to ALWAYS make clean cuts when cutting dough for biscuits.
  12. I've learned that seasoning a wok on the 5th floor of a mid-rise isn't the best idea but sometimes necessary.
  13. I've learned that so long as you aren't allergic to an ingredient, someone can make you like it by preparing it well.
  14. I've learned that canned veg can't compare to freshly prepared veg.
  15. I've learned that I can and will curry anything. Curried spaghetti and meatballs anyone?
  16. I've learned that not having to shave is both a blessing and a curse. "No, I have not been shipwrecked on a deserted island or living in a cave." Mom would argue with that fact.
  17. I've learned that you can identify the folks that you love, by the number of times you've wanted to choke the crap out of them and didn't.
  18. I've learned that you can identify the folks that love you, by the number of times that they should've choked the crap out of you and didn't.
  19. I've learned that money can't buy happiness... but it sure does make it A LOT more comfortable while you try and hunt it down.
  20. I've learned that sometimes life just sucks but you've still only got 2 options: Live it or end it. Living it seems like it would be the most fun, though.
  21. Finally, the greatest lesson I've learned is that sometimes life gets in the way of living. When that happens, we have to slow down and take a moment to appreciate the good, simple things that life has provided us. Good food, good friends, and good times. Cook a meal, crack some wine or a few beers, and invite some loved ones. Happiness is sure to follow. Until the hangover hits... but then you get to come here for a Monday Morning pick-me up.

See you tomorrow folks...

-Al

posted by Allen @ 12:19 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Uptown Cook is the website that combines cooking, lifestyle, and technology all together. Think of Uptown Cook as GQ without the midlife crisis articles and a heavy dose of Food Network. This is the lifestyle website for the 20-30 somethings out there that want to look good, eat well, and party even harder.

Subscribe Now! Chefs Blogs Top Blogs Food & Drink blogarama - the blog directory Food & Drink blogs Food & Drink Blogs
 
About Me

Name: Allen
Home: Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
© Uptown Cook. Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com