Sunday, April 27, 2008
I'm sick of lemonade!
Some of you may know that, in an effort to save my own life, I've been trying to avoid soda pop for a long time which means that I get to drown myself in a choice of water, alcohol, or... lemonade. I was an avid lover of lemonade for most of my life. I'm not talking about that crud that comes powdered in the little foil packet, I mean the stuff that you had to sip slowly to avoid choking to death on that errant seed that mom/dad/nana/paw-paw/sweetie inevitably lost. The stuff that you remember drinking while sitting in the grass, exhausted from chasing fireflies or your little brother or sister.

BUT NOW... things are different.

Years of abuse from the ultra-sour or super syrupy lemonade impersonators has tainted my cherished memories but my love of the little yellow fellows has not waned. In an effort to satiate my craving for some tangy goodness I went on a hunt for the perfect non-lemonade lemon recipe and boy did I find a goodie. Courtesy of Katia at Gourmet Girl here is her recipe for Lemon Caper Shrimp Crostini.

"Making the crostini: Slice a French Baguette into 1/2" thick rounds and lay on a baking sheet. Brush a little melted butter on bread and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (If you really like garlic you can also add some to the butter). At the restaurant, I grill them since the grill is so easily accessible.

Lemon Caper Shrimp
1/2 cup butter ( 1 stick)
1/4 cup capers
3 cloves crushed and finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
Coarse sal de mer to taste

1. In a large saute pan melt half the butter over medium heat, add shrimp, garlic, black pepper, paprika and Thyme; cook until the shrimp turn light pink. Add lemon juice, white wine and capers and bring to a boil. Add cream, remove from heat then slowly stir in butter until it melts. Add salt to taste.

2. Serve Shrimp over Crostini drizzling with a generous amount of sauce. The recipe will serve four as a starter or two as a main dish. I sometimes garnish with Caper berries like I did here."

This recipe rocks! Plain and simple, rocks. Hasn't quite made it to awesome for me but I'm always a little critical of recipes that use that many moo juice derivatives.

Give the recipe a try, yourself, and don't get caught up in the fancy terminology. Sal de Mer is just a sea salt, if you can't get it sub in your favorite. Leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or better yet, go give Katia the props over at Gourmet Girl.

See you tomorrow!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Allen @ 9:10 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Uptown Cook is the website that combines cooking, lifestyle, and technology all together. Think of Uptown Cook as GQ without the midlife crisis articles and a heavy dose of Food Network. This is the lifestyle website for the 20-30 somethings out there that want to look good, eat well, and party even harder.

Subscribe Now! Chefs Blogs Top Blogs Food & Drink blogarama - the blog directory Food & Drink blogs Food & Drink Blogs
 
About Me

Name: Allen
Home: Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
© Uptown Cook. Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com